Seek an Attorney for Intellectual Property Protection
A Business Lawyer Bethesda MD Offers Can Provide Intellectual Property Protection
Intellectual property is an invention or process that is developed from creativity of the human mind. Many business owners or creators apply for trademark, copyright or patent protection of their intellectual property. Protecting intellectual property is a key element in the brand of a company or its product. Those who want to know more about their legal rights can benefit from consulting with a business law attorney from Brown | Gould | Kiely.
We committed ourselves to protecting the creations and innovations of our fellow community members since we opened our doors in 1998. To help strengthen the foundation of your new product or company, we provide the following suggestions. A business law attorney at Brown | Gould | Kiely will be happy to answer any remaining questions or concerns you have related to intellectual property protection.
Tips for Protecting Intellectual Property
- Educate yourself and team members on trademark, copyright, patent, and trade secret basics. Investing time in doing research of your own regarding intellectual property rights can make you feel more empowered to make big decisions. We can explain these terms to you in depth and how they apply to your unique situation.
- By hiring a business lawyer in Bethesda MD from Brown | Gould | Kiely, we can guide you through the legal documentation and processes involved in obtaining a copyright, patent, or trademark.
- Perform an audit to target registered and unregistered copyrights, patents, and trademarks to confirm all bases are covered.
- Take advantage of non-disclosure agreements. A business lawyer in Bethesda from our firm can demonstrate how to use them when partnering with others, employees, and contractors to protect your intellectual property.
- Obtain international patents if there are competitors outside of the United States. A US patent cannot protect you from inventors in other countries. We can help you with this.
- Plan and think ahead in regards to the future of the company. Devise your patent strategy and prioritize which aspects of your idea or company needs the most legal protection. We can help you submit the appropriate applications and make sure that you take all of the necessary steps.
Definition of Trademark, Patent, and Copyright
Below we have listed the definitions of four very important forms of intellectual property protection, to help you identify which is most applicable to your property.
- Copyright: Legal protection granted to an entity or author for the original work.
- Trademark: A phrase, series of words, logo or graphic symbol which is used to separate a product, organization or company from others. The goal of a trademark is to prevent customer confusion.
- Patent: Legal protection granted to a person or entity for their inventions, procedures and/or discoveries.
- Trade Secret: Confidential information in regards to the process, design and/or method a manufacturer uses to market their product.
Patents, trademarks, copyrights, and trade secrets can play an influential role in the amount of monetary income possible for your company. The last thing a creator or business person needs is to have another party steal or replicate their idea illegally or legally if they do not take protective measures. By choosing a business lawyer in Bethesda MD from Brown | Gould | Kiely, we can help you decide which aspects of your business needs protection.
In order to help prevent your ideas from being stolen or replicated by another party in the near future, consult with a business lawyer Bethesda MD at Brown | Gould | Kiely for a free consultation. Call us today to schedule your appointment.