As a trial lawyer, civil litigator and founding partner of Brown | Gould | Kiely, LLP, I work with the firm’s clients across a broad range of business-related disputes.
I have litigated, arbitrated, and tried numerous complex commercial litigation cases, including construction claims, breach of contract disputes, claims involving the validity of employer/employee non-compete agreements and protection of trade secrets, partnership disputes, fraud and breach of fiduciary duty claims, to name a few.
Born and raised in Rockville, Maryland, I left the area to attend the University of Pennsylvania for my bachelor’s degree and went on to Boston University for law school. In between college and law school, I spent time as a ski bum and waiter in Colorado, and as a high school history teacher in Queens, New York.
After graduating law school, I spent a year in Puerto Rico, teaching junior and high school math while my wife clerked for a federal judge. Then, after a few months working at a large Boston-based law firm, the desire to come back to the DC area proved too great to resist, and my wife and I relocated to the area in early 1994. Unable to find a job with a local firm during a deep recession in the legal marketplace, I did what any normal, young attorney with virtually no experience would do: I started a solo practice. In 1998, we formed Brown | Gould | Kiely with the idea of building a litigation boutique that could provide “big firm” quality litigation and trial services at more affordable rates, and that could provide unique arrangements for our clients. Unlike many firms, we are sometimes able to take business cases on a contingency-fee basis. I am very proud of what we have built over the ensuing years.
I have served as the Co-Chair of the Commercial Litigation Section of the Bar Association of Montgomery County, and am active in my Synagogue, Congregation B’Nai Tzedek, where I have served on the Board and currently hold the position of legal counsel.
I am married to my law school sweetheart, and we are blessed with two children.
- District of Columbia
- New York
- United States District Court for the District of Columbia
- United States District Court for Maryland
- United States District Court for Massachusetts
- United States District Court for Virginia, Eastern District
- United States Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals, District of Columbia
- University of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, PA) 1988, BA
- Boston University (Boston, MA) 1992, JD
Professional Associations and Memberships
- District of Columbia Bar Association
- Bar Association of Montgomery County, Maryland
- Former Co-Chair of the Commercial Litigation Section, 2004-2006
- Maryland State Bar Association
- Virginia Bar Association